What is it?
Management of agricultural and municipal solid waste has been a challenge for the rural and urban population in developing countries like India. The most common practice in use is to burn the waste or to leave them undisturbed for natural decomposition. To tackle this problem National Centre for organic farming in Ghaziabad developed waste decomposer, a formulation consisting of few beneficial microorganisms extracted from desi cow dung. It functions as a biofertilizer, biocontrol as well as soil health reviver. It also has its use as a quick decomposer of biowaste, drip irrigation, foliar spray and also as a bio-pesticide.
The microorganism present in the waste decomposer produces primary metabolites (these are antimicrobial compounds) and secondary metabolites (polyketides and alkanes). These metabolites also help in the control of disease of plants.
Where to buy and cost?
It is available online for a minimal cost of around Rs 20 + GST for 1 bottle.
How to use?
Firstly, the product needs to be mass multiplied. From a single bottle of waste decomposer more than 1 lakh metric tonne of organic manure can be produced. The process is quite simple and it involves the following steps:
2 kg of jaggery is to be mixed with 200 L of water. In the mixture 1 bottle of waste decomposer is to be added and mixed uniformly and kept with occasional stirring. After 5 days the solution turns creamy and is ready for use.
The second step involves composting which hs the following steps:
- 18-20 cm thick 1ton bio-waste (agriculture waste, kitchen waste, cow dung etc.) are piled on the ground.
- The waste are wet with mass multiplied waste decomposer solution.
- Again 18-20 cm thick bio-waste is piled and wet with waste decomposer solution
- The process is repeated till the piling is 30-45 cm high. The pile is turned at a 7-day interval and more solution is added.
- Moisture should be maintained at 60%. The compost gets ready after 30-40 days.
The compost produced as such is of good quality without any foul smell, not warm, dry, with high organic carbon content.
Other uses of Waste decomposer:
As bio-pesticide, in-situ composting of crop residue, drip irrigation, seed treatment, Folliar spray